Dolman T-Shirt

This was a fun (semi-quick) project that I'm really happy with. I found the original inspiration from this blog here. Recently I found this blog that I love too and she has a great easy version as well here. I've been wanting to branch out from skirts and try something different and out of my comfort zone. I found a great raspberry and cream lace jersey knit fabric at Hancock fabrics a while ago with plans to make a shirt with it.


I used parchment paper for to create this pattern

Had to tape on the sleeves since the paper wasn't that wide.

I used parchment paper to create this pattern because we had it lying around the house and we never use it. :) The only thing was I needed to add some extra pieces to the sleeves since the paper wasn't wide enough, but it worked out well to do that. I just found one of my comfortable t-shirts to get the measurements from for the neck, sleeves, etc. Except for this one I wanted it to be a longer length shirt similar to a tunic that you could wear leggings with so I just added some extra length.

Cutting the fabric. I made sure the lines were identical on both sides.

Pinned and ready to sew!

Basted the pieces together.

After I cut the fabric I decided to just baste the shirt together to make sure the size was correct. After I put it on I realized that I needed more room in the buttox (lol) area because it was a little tight. So my idea was to just add a contrasting panel on the bottom half of the shirt. Took a while to get right, but it was fun to do to challenge myself.

Pieces added to the side seams.


Sewn and serged!

Then after I added the side pieces I thought it would be fun to add contrasting end panels to the sleeves. I also ended up cutting my sleeve length about 2 inches before adding the new panel.

Measured around sleeve and doubled the size

The piece I cut for the sleeve.

Sew the ends together with right sides together.

Then fold and just slip the sleeve inside and pin.


Sew close to the inside to make sure you grab the sleeve.

Then with the neck I wanted to try doing this (I want to do this someday thought) but that didn't work the way I really planned since this is more of a boat neck style. So I ended up just rolling the hem in a few times and sewing which turned out to be a bit easier.

Measured the neckband for the original idea, but changed my mind.

Rolled hem at neckline.

Finally put the finished product on and I was pretty happy. :) I may make another one of these but easier and without the side panels. I just need to angle out the bottom of the pattern more when I make it next time.

You can see the side panel I added. Turned out nice!

Fits comfortably!
Sorry for the horrible quality photos. I think I'm going to put a new camera on my Christmas list!
Happy Sewing

No comments:

Post a Comment